Abbey of San Rabano
- Category Art History and Culture
The Church of S. Maria Alborense founded in the 11th century. - the name S. Rabano, which is now the one known to all, seems to derive from transfers to the complex of a small temple with some relics of the saint located in the "Romitorio" area - it was once reached by a road, called the "queen" , which descending into a small valley, connected it with the ancient Aurelia about 1 km from the current hamlet of Alberese. Unfortunately, very little was saved on the site from the destruction desired by the Sienese in 1438, with the exception of the church, the bell tower and the fourteenth-century watchtower. Of the monastery. however it is still legible, from the remains of the walls, the rectangular fortified enclosure and a few rooms annexed to the church with barrel vaults. It is assumed that there was a cloister, with a cistern in the center; a well is located outside, next to the path back to the sea. Outside the fortified enclosure, some traces of masonry and a lot of stones scattered everywhere indicate the existence of other probable constructions.
The Tower of San Rabano or dell'Uccellina was built in 1321 and raised in a later period. It is to be considered certain that the rise dates back to the mid-century. XVI, when most of the towers existing in the area are built in order to be in sight with them.
Inside the tower there are traces of four floors, in addition to the ground floor, below which presumably there was a prison.