- Category Art History and Culture
Seat of the Province of Grosseto, Palazzo Aldobrandeschi is one of the main buildings in the historic center and overlooks Piazza Dante. The building dates back to the Middle Ages: initially the Aldobrandeschi town residence, the building then housed local institutions. The slow and inexorable decay, which lasted for several centuries, culminated in the modern era with the decision to tear down and rebuild what remained of the ancient noble palace. The works began in 1900 and the new building was officially inaugurated on May 31, 1903. Its current appearance is due to this early twentieth-century renovation, carried out to a design by the Grosseto architect Lorenzo Porciatti.
The building has a strong neo-Gothic connotation, which can be glimpsed in the succession of volumes and in the formal and decorative elements. Other elements that recall the neo-Gothic style are the mullioned windows and mullioned windows characterized by pointed arches, the battlements with which the upper part culminates, and the general use of materials such as travertine and bricks, also typical of public buildings of the Gothic Sienese. The stairwell is characterized by a cross vault, a three-light window, a three-flight staircase with an octagonal travertine pillar and a balustrade. On the lateral sides of the building it is possible to recognize some elements of the original medieval structure.