The Park of the Metalliferous Hills of Grosseto
- Category Environment and Nature
Discover the Grosseto Metalliferous Hills Park: Visit the Park, Experiences you can do, E-Bike excursions and much more.Number of views: 2504
- Visit the Grosseto Metalliferous Hills Park
- Path "Road of the Etruscan cities"
- Experiences in the Grosseto Metalliferous Hills Park
- Bike excursions inside the Metalliferous Hills Park
Visit the Grosseto Metalliferous Hills Park
The multi-thematic park allows us to go on a journey that recounts 5000 years of history, mines, nature and innovation to discover the territory of metallic hills.
Inside the Colline Metallifere Grosseta National Park you can retrace different aspects of history: discover the mines and the work in the subsoil through a multi-thematic itinerary which touches on archeology, the naturalistic aspect, the environmental one, the architectural heritage of castles and villages and clearly industrial archaeology.
The National Park of the Metalliferous Hills of Grosseto extends over a very vast territory, encircling seven municipalities of the Maremma Tuscany located in the northern area of the province of Grosseto: Monterotondo Marittimo, Montieri, Roccastrada, Gavorrano , Massa Marittima, Follonica and Scarlino.
Each of these municipalities has an access "Gate" to the Park with a reception center which also represents the starting point of the itineraries and guided tours, in one of the most captivating mining scenarios in Europe.
Path "Road of the Etruscan cities"
The novelty regarding slow and sustainable tourism in Maremma is known as the "Via delle Città Etrusche", a set of paths that will wind for well 173km above the Metalliferous Hills and which will be connected to the Etruscan cities of Roselle, Populonia, Vetulonia and Volterra thanks to the recovery of ancient roads surrounded by nature.
An ambitious project, but at the same time full of opportunities which is being completed after an intense work by the Metalliferous Hills National Park which played the role of technical reference, and by the eight municipalities involved: Roccastrada , Castiglione della Pescaia, Follonica, Gavorrano,Massa Marittima, Monterotondo Marittimo, Montieri and Scarlino.
Experiences in the Grosseto Metalliferous Hills Park
In the Metalliferous Hills National Park there are several itineraries that you can try to get to know the Maremma and its natural and historical beauties.
- Scarlino, a terrace overlooking the sea: an interesting trekking route in an urban context, immersing yourself in the medieval history that surrounds the country.
- Massa Marittima, a gem of the Middle Ages: a journey to discover the city of Massa Marittima, the ancient capital of Maremma Tuscany.
- From miners to smelters, from Gavorrano to Follonica: the interesting visit to the mine in Gavorrano, showing the hard life of the miner and then a visit to MAGMA, the museum inside the oldest building in the city of Follonica.
- The biancane di Monterotondo Marittima: a suggestive trekking route surrounded by a truly unprecedented landscape, among the few examples in the world.
- Etruscans and wine, tastings in the cellar: a dive into the millenary history of Maremma, the cradle of the Etruscan civilization that still surprises visitors today.
- By E-bike to the coast of Scarlino: a wonderful itinerary covered easily on E-Bikes, which leads to the splendid Cala Violina.
Bike excursions inside the Metalliferous Hills Park
The territory within the Colline Metallifere Grosseta National Park is among the most ideal for experiencing experiences and bike excursions of different types: road, cycling, MTB, downhill and e-bikes, there really are many possibilities for all tastes.
3 municipalities out of 7 (Scarlino, Follonica and Massa Marittima) are certified by the FIAB as cycle path municipalities and the remaining ones are applying.
The Municipality of Montieri, Monterotondo and Gavorrano have already added numerous charging stations for electric vehicles and bikes in each hamlet.
One of the first bike hotels in Italy was recently inaugurated in Massa Marittima.
The bicycle is one of the main reasons why tourism attracts guests to Tuscany, it is perhaps the most transversal type of tourism, as it closely affects all territories.
There are already several package experiences related to the world of two wheels: from sports in nature to events.